Sunday, May 16, 2010

Her name is Lola...



Our newest little family member...meet Lola.


We picked her up last Saturday, May 8 - a Mother's Day present from Paul that I'd been begging for since Macy died in February. He kept giving me the run around, then I found this little girl and emailed him at work Friday - he kept putting me off and I had to sheepishly tell the gal that my husband was in meetings all day and if someone chose her, I'd have to be okay with what wasn't meant to me.  However, Paul pulled a flashback, dating-Paul style and emailed the gal (from the email I had sent him at work with the kitten's picture) and asked her to hold the kitten, and to put me off so he could surprise the three of us the next day, Saturday.  She did a fine job of it, as did he!

So we picked her up Saturday morning, and I must admit I wasn't quite sold.  She is not the kitten you see that you think is the most adorable fuzziest cutest thing ever - she does look a lot like a great kitty I had growing up, Katie, but the mama was thin and it was mentioned she is a very good hunter - as was Charlie, which made me a little nervous as well.  However, everyone else was sold on her, including Paul who I was relying on and trusting would be strong enough to judge with his head and not melt in her cuteness.  We've had a few experiences with our kitties have some feral in their genes and finally learned that it doesn't matter how much you love and handle them, the feral is always there...we had vowed when we got a new kitten, we would go in smarter and wiser, and be ready to walk away if we didn't think this would be a truly great family member.

Given this, I was totally comfortable trusting Paul's instincts...

So about Lola...she is awesome!  Her first week has been perfect - no accidents, eating well, and happiest when she is with us and in a lap...The girls and I took her Saturday for her first visit to the vet - not only did she not cry in the car on the way there, but on the way home, she even sat in Mason's lap, relaxed and happy!  Now that is a great kitten!!


At seven weeks and two days, she weighed 1 lb, 14 oz.  She's still tiny. :)  I wish she could stay this way.  I will say this was our first visit to the vet since the girls and I were there with Macy when she passed away - even in the same roon - so it was really nice actually to be able to give the girls this new, fun and exciting experience in this same environment.  And for McKenzie, she watched her get her shots and be okay with it, and for McKenzie, that is actually a great thing for her to witness as well. 

So, our little Lola is awesome.  She sits in my lap all day while I work - snuggled up and snoozing.  She adores Mason, and visa versa, and repeatedly tries to burrough thru Mason's hair and nurse - Mason giggles and its quite sweet.  Its only Mason for some reason, she's not at all interested in my hair or McKenzies.  Mason has, as you can imagine, been a little mother hen and has been really good at taking care of her - and on weekends, they nap together.  :)  I love it. 






No comments: