Mason has been resistant to play or do any extra curricular activities in which none of her friends are participating...We have been working on soccer - and I was thrilled to find we have a spring soccer league down here, which is shorter than the regular AYSO season, and...does not interfere with football season as it does in the fall, etc...But, much to our chagrin, she has been adamantly opposed.
So, I decided to check out the spring league - they were still taking late registrations, so I went thru the registration process up until the part where you pay $150 - then I decided I better really figure out if she will actually be willing to participate - or not. About six weeks later (this past Friday), I get a message from a guy who "is Mason's soccer coach" and the first practice is next Thursday (that would be today). What? I didn't really think it was a prank call - he did say "Mason" and "her" in the same sentence, so I called him back, and he had all of our paperwork, apparently we were registered to play...so here is our opportunity to make it happen.
So, I talked to Mason about it, she cried, and said "noooo, I dont' want to play" until...da da da da...the discussion of maybe Daddy could be a coach - then she was fired up!
We had our first practice tonight - she did awesome. It is a co-ed team, four of the kids have played before (last year was the first year she was old enough), and four are newbys, so hopefully that is a good balance. She did great - and she LOVED it!!!!!
So, she needs shin guards and cleats - we'll be getting them this weekend. I wasn't about to buy any equipment as I really didn't know if she would do it. But, I'm so proud of her, and she's even more proud of herself...and after her shower asked "Mom, can we do soccer tomorrow?" So, we're off to a good start!!!
3 comments:
sister, you're not supposed to ASK your girls if they want to play sports - there are way to many societal pressures on girls not to want to play sports for that. you've got to MAKE them. there are tons of studies available that make a direct correlation between sports and improved self-esteem in girls and young women and an equally strong negative correlation between sports and teen pregnancy. i know you're not thinking about that stuff now, but the time to make participating in sports a big part of their lives is when they're Mason's age. we did it when they were little but we've chosen to keep doing it even as your girls in are in high school - do you think Allie and Tori WANTED to run track in high school - uhh....that would be no!
Go Mason!!! I'm sure that she will love it :)
Collin starts Spring Soccer today. I'm so excited...I LOVE being a soccer mom!!! When he was about Mason's age I signed him up and after his first practice he said, "Sign me up for every soccer!" He's been playing ever since (he'll be 11 on Thursday).
And I agree with Ron, get 'em into sports! :)
Post a Comment